Siouxcountry.com

---

Go Back   Siouxcountry.com > Discussion > Bodybuilding, Physique, Fitness, Figure & Bikini
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Bodybuilding, Physique, Fitness, Figure & Bikini News & chat about Bodybuilding, Physique, Fitness, Figure & Bikini.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:01 PM
Amber

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitglam View Post
What Phil said was beautiful and perfect. What a great man! They are very lucky to have each other.

I wish his wife Jennie a full and speedy recovery.

^This. It's unfortunate that Jennie has to go through this, but she is incredibly blessed to have caught it so early on and to have the support of her spouse. I wish them both all the best in their fight against cancer.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:09 PM
CBBF Figure Competitor - Amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcountry View Post

I'm informing them that Mammograms are not as effective as most believe, not scaring women away from prevention. First article I linked to was based off an article in the New England Journal Of Medicine, Effect of Three Decades of Screening Mammography on Breast-Cancer Incidence....... http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1206809

I agree, you can find pro or con, and women should read both from reputable sources, and make an informed decision.
I got your back Jason. Informed decisions are the only decisions people should make.

My thoughts and hope go out to the Heath's for a full recovery, what a difficult thing to go through for both.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:15 PM
IFBB Reject - Rebecca Staggs

Twitter: BeccaStaggs

I agree informed decision are the best, not disputing your article, either. I'm just saying in this case, for me, the risks would be worth it, I think. Women should do their research, but I don't agree to saying "Phil encourages women to get mammograms, but they are not as effective as many believe..."

Because mammograms can, in fact save lives.
I would rather have an unnecessary double mastectomy than go untreated you know? Maybe that is just me.
It is not like people die because of mammograms and unnecessary biopsies.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:57 PM
IFBB Pro - Eboney Chipman

Is there a certain age they recommend u start getting them at? I heard that mammograms hurt a lot???

IFBB BIKINI PRO
FOLLOW ME @Eboneyfitness (in regards to twitter)
INSTAGRAM -Eboneypro
Old 03-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Figure Competitor - Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboney View Post
Is there a certain age they recommend u start getting them at? I heard that mammograms hurt a lot???
Usually 40 but if you have risk factors then they will recommend 35. I have family history so I went last year, they did find a lump/cyst that I will get re checked next month.

www.getfitwithgreene.com

~Follow my training journal~
http://siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?t=19768
Twitter @FitMomMichelle
Web www.getfitwithgreene.com
Old 03-06-2013, 10:50 PM
Dana

Instagram: fitandglamorous

It's also very important to self-examine regularly and be very familiar with what your healthy breast feels like, so that you can be very aware if any changes do occur and get a professional opinion and treatment as soon as possible.

Early detection is crucial. Know your own body.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:01 AM
CBBF Bikini Competitor - Lauren Fazio
AMAZEBALLS!

Twitter: LaurenFazio
Instagram: laurenlfazio

This is so awful! My thoughts and prayers are with her during this time

Amen to self-checking as much as possible!!
Old 03-07-2013, 03:32 AM
Lori Mork - TEAM ENERGY - Competition Prep Coach

My grandma passed away from breast cancer and my mom had breast cancer and removal of both breasts and SURVIVED it after fighting it for over 10 years... cancer free for almost 10 years now!--- LOVE HER!!!!

I was told I didn't need to be screened early, or at all for that matter. Even having 3+ people in family with history is no longer a deciding factor. Many doctors actually advise against it - as you read in Sioux's posts above

I self check... and that is it.

It is also VERY diffifcult to get a mammogram with IMPLANTS.... they have to be a specially trained technician and you have to ask before you go to make sure that person is there (many of my clients and friends with implants have been screened in the past). It is 100 times more painful with implants and much more risk of false positives with them!!!

My heart goes out to them.... and I will be sending lots of positive energy their way.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:49 AM
Ali

While not an alternative, there are other supplementary means of getting a better gauge on your risk of developing breast cancer. For example, I heard about THIS site at a psychiatry conference.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:41 PM
IFBB Reject - Rebecca Staggs

Twitter: BeccaStaggs

Saw this on FB today... thought it was pretty awesome.

Ancil Lambert reported this picture yesterday and facebook removed it again. Here is what Ancil reported " I find this picture offensive, can you please remove it fb"

This Tattoo was done for a woman who had breast cancer! Facebook keeps "REMOVING" the post as an offensive photo do to nudity. However we feel this woman is both brave and strong so were going to post it anyways and ask for your awareness and support. Please LIKE/COMMENT/SHARE this photo quickly to show your support for this and many other women who have lost so much. I will keep on reposting if it gets removed. Thank you!!

Old 03-07-2013, 03:10 PM
NPC Bodybuilder - Leslie

Instagram: lesliemirinda

I agree with Becca...you can always find supporting research for or against anything but I'll keep getting mine--I've had 2--I'm 41 and I have implants. It doesn't hurt -- uncomfortable, yes, but wasn't difficult to have done even with the implants. My aunt died a slow and painful death from breast cancer...scary and sad. Phil is awesome and I wish him and his wife the best!

Im not in this world to live up to your expectations and youre not in this world to live up to mine.
- Bruce Lee

My journal!
http://www.siouxcountry.com/showthre...320#post587320
Old 03-07-2013, 06:30 PM
NPC Bodybuilder - Janelle Gallo

Phil is such a beautiful person. Prayers go out to his wife, Jennie for a speedy recovery. I lost my friend a year and a half ago from breast cancer. She was only 40 years old and didn't have a family history of it either. I still am sad about it.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Vanessa Adams-Pierce

Best wishes to Jennie and family. It's good to see Phil speaking out and contributing to awareness.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:01 PM
Vanessa Adams-Pierce

On a related note, a friend just forwarded me this:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/earl...6674?mt=8&ls=1

Old 03-09-2013, 01:26 AM
Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitglam View Post
It's also very important to self-examine regularly and be very familiar with what your healthy breast feels like, so that you can be very aware if any changes do occur and get a professional opinion and treatment as soon as possible.

Early detection is crucial. Know your own body.
Amen to that!

I have cyst and naturally occurring lumps. Self exams are still the best thing for you to do once a month. I had to endure several view taken of a cyst on my birthday last year. When I saw the film of what they thought was suspicious I said "Really!?? even I know that a perfectly round thing in my boob is a cyst. You just wasted a bunch of my $$ and exposed me to unnecessary radiation to cover you " I know the feel of a cyst and could have told them that was what was there, but nothing was told to me, just a "we see something suspicious so you need to come back". At least they didn't try to biopsy it.

Yeah mammograms can save lives if used properly. A classmate from high school had a clear mammogram and two months later had stage IV cancer. It is not a perfect test, so knowing all the facts and understanding your body is important.

"The highest point of yesterday should be the lowest point of today." B.K.S. Iyengar
Old 03-09-2013, 02:16 AM
Geneva

Glad they found it early! Hopefully she has a successful recovery.

This just ups his adorable factor in my book!
Old 03-12-2013, 02:17 PM
IFBB Pro - Alti Bautista

Sag Men. Love deep!! Wow, tear jerker here... Thank God she went with her gut feeling n didnt wait 3months.Sending prayers out to Jeannie! You have an incredible support system.God bless!!