Siouxcountry.com

---

Go Back   Siouxcountry.com > Discussion > Chat & Introduction
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chat & Introduction We chat about everything, and anything. Stop on in and introduce yourself.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:32 PM
Photographer - Tre Scott

Facebook: femflex
Twitter: femflex
Default Transgendered MMA fighter under investigation

Mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter Fallon Fox opens up about being transgender in a new interview with Outsports' Cyd Zeigler, but admits she has some long-standing reservations about coming forward.

"For years I've known at some point it's very likely the shoe would drop," Fox is quoted in the interview as saying. "Maybe someone would guess that I'm trans. Maybe they would know me from my life before I transitioned. I've been waiting for that phone call to happen. And Saturday night, it happened."

Part of her reluctance to come out has had a lot to do with concerns over who she'll be perceived by her fellow athletes, saying that people have "seen me as a woman."

"I'm technically, legally, physically and mentally female. Everything about me is female," she says, before adding, "I happen to fall into the transgender category, but I rather describe myself as a woman first, transsexual woman second."

She tells Zeigler she underwent gender reassignment surgery (along with the supplemental hormonal therapy) six years ago, several years after her father -- who was convinced she was a confused gay man -- put her in conversion therapy where, she notes, she was treated by a reparative therapist who tried to convince her that she was, in fact, gay so that he could turn her into a heterosexual man.

As Sports Illustrated points out, Fox is currently scheduled to fight again for the Championship Fighting Alliance 10 in Coral Gables, Fla. on April 20, but her license approval is now under investigation with Florida's Dept. of Business and Professional Regulation now that she's come out as transgender.

Fox's revelation follows that of mixed martial artist Liz Carmouche, a former Marine who fought in the history-making, first female match-up of the Ultimate Fighting Championship on Feb. 23.

"It's going to be difficult for people to adjust at first, but that's change," Fox told HuffPost Gay Voices blogger Phillip B. Crook of the barriers to women and the LGBT community in both sports and the U.S. military.

In July 2012, Lana Wachowski ("The Matrix") became the first major Hollywood director to publicly come out as transgender while promoting "Cloud Atlas."

Link to the story about the investigation is here:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ation/1966201/
Old 03-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Administrator
Jason

Facebook: siouxcountryfb
Twitter: siouxcountry
Instagram: siouxcountry

I never would have guessed she was once male. If they allow transgenders in the Olympics, they should be allowed in the MMA as well.

Got a Smartphone? Download Forum Runner to read & post from your phone!
Old 03-06-2013, 09:56 PM
IFBB Pro - Carrie Ann Simmons

If she is complete and legally a woman. Let her fight.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:04 AM
CBBF Figure Competitor - Amy

I don't envy transgendered people who want to compete in sport. Sports have always separated male and female competitors. Figuring out where a transgendered individual falls is tricky. Where does the line get drawn? Is it a certain amount of allowable free estrogen or testosterone?

I wish everyone alive the ability to compete and be competitive if they choose. I also understand it is a tough distinction to make as far as fairness to all competitors goes.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:13 AM
IFBB Reject - Rebecca Staggs

Twitter: BeccaStaggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieAnnSimmons View Post
If she is complete and legally a woman. Let her fight.
I agree.

I don't even see why she is under review? If she's gone through the entire physical and hormonal gender re-assignment, what is there to review??
Especially the hormone part to me. It's not like she is just in drag and has a leg up in the physical department going up against other women now??
Old 03-07-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca Staggs View Post
I agree.

I don't even see why she is under review? If she's gone through the entire physical and hormonal gender re-assignment, what is there to review??
Especially the hormone part to me. It's not like she is just in drag and has a leg up in the physical department going up against other women now??
I think there are still many issues to consider. Eg, those born male have larger hearts and bigger lung capacity, greater potential to build muscle, and many other physical attributes which need to be considered whether a person goes through gender reassignment or not.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss fit View Post
I think there are still many issues to consider. Eg, those born male have larger hearts and bigger lung capacity, greater potential to build muscle, and many other physical attributes which need to be considered whether a person goes through gender reassignment or not.
Ok, I see your point. But to play the devil's advocate here: how would that be much different from someone who was born naturally big, like a 6 foot woman with more natural testosterone? Or a smaller guy (let's say she was fighting as a male) who had smaller lungs/heart, etc... they do fight in their weight class, after all? So I feel like unless they want to start measuring all that stuff with all competitors to make sure the match is fair, it really isn't fair to bring it into play now.

Maybe. Idk.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca Staggs View Post
Ok, I see your point. But to play the devil's advocate here: how would that be much different from someone who was born naturally big, like a 6 foot woman with more natural testosterone? Or a smaller guy (let's say she was fighting as a male) who had smaller lungs/heart, etc... they do fight in their weight class, after all? So I feel like unless they want to start measuring all that stuff with all competitors to make sure the match is fair, it really isn't fair to bring it into play now.

Maybe. Idk.
I totally understand what you're saying. Perhaps sports shouldn't even be segregated according to sex. It all bears discussing.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:53 AM

Right. It is confusing if you really start to break it all down.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:13 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Patricia

I agree with Amy.

Side note: I thought this thread was going to be about Cyborg.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:54 PM
Dana

Instagram: fitandglamorous

The only issue I see with it is that men, due to their natural higher testosterone, carry more muscle and have a whole host of advantages relating to strength and speed, as compared to women. That's why male elite athletes in virtually every discipline, out perform female athletes of the same caliber.

Now, I don't know if or how that changes when you've gone through gender reassignment and how much of an effect that female hormone therapy would have on a biological male. So I can't say I think she should or should not be able to fight.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:33 PM
IFBB Pro - Carrie Ann Simmons

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_rea...e-to-female%29

I'm sorry, anyone who goes through all of THIS deserves to do EVERYTHING as a woman.

HRT is for YEARS. Hormones in depth: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hormone...e-to-female%29

I'd bet a weeks pay her hormone ratio would test better than a lot of the women in this "sport"
Old 03-07-2013, 11:06 PM
Brankica

Facebook: u.brankica

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss fit View Post
I totally understand what you're saying. Perhaps sports shouldn't even be segregated according to sex. It all bears discussing.
Some probably shouldn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia Dees View Post

Side note: I thought this thread was going to be about Cyborg.
Don't hate on my favorite fighter I love her!!!